A New Classic

January 25th featured a post hinting at a new game that was discovered, thanks to a suggestion,  along with resuming plans for starting over in another game to see what the progress speed would be like. The game itself is still relatively new to me, but gradually things are coming into focus. The new game in question is... drum rolls

Mirage Online Classic

Mirage Online Classic gameplay screen
Game screen with inventory view.

Definitely would’ve been easier to lead with this, but wanted it to be a surprise of sorts. That and I’m experimenting with varying my introductions. Any ways, Mirage Online Classic.

Mirage Online Classic is a basic-looking MMO with what some may call old school graphics. Despite the appearance, MOC is a solid game. There’s no dungeon grinding for gear, there’s no never ending quest chains for obtaining hard to find items and only has a single currency.

There are a variety of classes from which to choose and I started off as a female Ranger who is currently at Level 8. Keep in mind I’m still new to the game; however, being at Level 8 is a crowning achievement for the learning curve that is experienced. My background in computer games consist of clicking with a mouse on random spots on screen to get my characters to move and do stuff.

Here, my keyboard is fully utilized in addition to my mouse; the mouse plays second fiddle, but is still used. I’m still learning the ropes, but here is what I’ve experienced so far.

Quests Are Location Specific

“there’s no never ending quest chains for obtaining hard to find items”

Sounds familiar? Well despite there not being quest chains, there are quests that are location specific. Heading south of the Town of Crendale you’ll find yourself at Crendale Keep. After entering one of the rooms you’ll have access to a quest (click the quest option from the side screen to view).

Started but my direction keys stopped responding so I was sent back to the inn respawn style. This isn’t the only one but have managed to complete the well (that thing you get water from) quest and have found three others while lollygagging about. The three in question are the shoe full of sand, the flower garden and this hole in the water which was discovered while sailing.

Environment Isn’t Stationary

Something I discovered while exploring but didn’t take full note of because I wasn’t paying attention was the fact that the settings actually change. Games that were played before are usually in 24/7 daytime mode. Here, the time of day actually changes.

In addition to the day/night changes, there is weather. From sunshine to rain, it’s actually here and nice to see. In case you were wondering, the time change wasn’t noted because I was in an area where it wasn’t obvious and it wasn’t till I got back to the keep that I noticed the glow of the fires; which hinted that it was night time.

Fun Community

Sounds strange but the community is fun and engaging. Everyone does their own thing, but are willing to assist when asked. To top it off, the dev(s) play in the game as well and are constantly working to make improvements when issues surface.

On the main page before you access the game, there are posts alerting players to the latest developments and changes within the games. The posts are consistent and very detailed if not very informative.

At The Moment…

Mirage Classic Online Stat Screen prior to Level 8
Stat Screen a little before Lvl 8

It’s a fun game. There’s no lag and no toxic behavior. As a heads up, check your stats regularly; because you’ll gain training points after reaching certain milestones which can be allocated toward a skill of your choosing.

Haven’t plugged the normal amount of game time I usually do so in a sense, this is lacking depth. Hopefully after some more rounds I’ll have more to share and report.

Comments

Popular Posts