Throwback Days: A Quick History

Not entirely sure when it was made official, but started doing posts called Throwback [insert day here]. It was strange in itself especially since I covered a lot of classic games during the early days of the blog. Somewhere down the line a day was officially dedicated to a classic game.

When How Did This Start?

Had to look this up myself. After browsing previous posts I saw it was highly confusing even by my standards. A few posts with the Throwback title surfaced but there were also non-throwback titled posts the focused on the same subject matter.

The how and when are muddled at best but the best explanation is that more and more of my posts were starting to focus on current titles. Weird right? Even though I wasn't on top of the latest and greatest games on the market a good bit of the games covered were quite new.

Classic Games Discussed To Date

2014

Yoshi's Island overview as viewd in the game booklet
The main two games that counted as classics for the time were Fashion Avenue Game and Jak X Combat Racing. FA was an amazing game that got you hooked almost immediately and possibly the only game at the time where you didn't mind having in-game neighbors. Jak X was released for the PS2 console sometime after 2005 and was a joy to play.

2015

The first classic game discussed was Yoshi's Island for the Super NES. I'm talking about the original blow on cartridge to work edition, not the recently-ish released mini. The pic featured in the post is from the actual game book, which I still have, for the accompanying game which I also still have in addition to the box it came in.

The second SNES title discussed was Killer Instinct which became a favorite mainly for the music aspect. Plus, when compared to the briefly played Mortal Kombat it was easier for little ole me to play. Outside of the classic cartridge console, I discussed PlayStation titles of the likes of Ore-no Ryouri, Legend of Dragoon, Katamari Damancy and Soul Calibur 3.

For online games I talked about classic Farmville and possibly the Games for Girls site. And now that I look back at the year a revisit is needed to add pictures. Which is weird considering pics were added at the time.

2016

Bejeweled 3 and Elite Dollz are the only two that qualified as throwbacks. Soul Calibur 3 was also mention but it was part of a 3-day weekend post series.

2017

To finish up the 3-day weekend series, the year was started off with Spyro Year of the Dragon Game Demo. It was a demo that didn't feel like a demo. After Spyro I talked about Digimon Rumble Arena, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, PSU JamPack CDs and other demo discs from the PSU, Gran Turismo 2, Crash Bandicoot, MTV Music Generator followed up with Chess & Mahjong Titans. 2017 had more throwback posts than others which was interesting to discover.

2018

The Sims Social and Sim City Social were two games I enjoyed playing on FB. After a while The Sims Social was dropped as the fun factor left the building. Sim City Social on the other hand was much nicer and little to no problem enjoying the gameplay.

Next up is Gala Stories. Though it kind of doesn't count since it was current, but it got neglected for a bit and wasn't updated in quite some time. It became my new favorite that was close to Fashion Avenue in terms of having different stores to shop from, fashion districts and a personal store.

I had to do some searching because I thought I covered Winx Adventure during this time frame. I was panicking because it was deleted by accident at some point. After some searching, the post about the game was found; however, it was posted to my Adventure in Writing blog.

Not sure how that mix up occurred but it did. Could be a future post on it in 2021.

2019

Unconventional throwbacks for this one. Of the three focal posts, only one discusses a game by itself. There was the Time Clock Journal that discussed some old games that were talked about in previous years. Then there was the history post recounting how this blog was started which highlighted Valus from the Shadow of the Colossus game.

Bushido Blade was the only solid post for the year. Like most of my stuff, the game booklet was discovered while cleaning. It was a favorite on the PlayStation and despite not having a roster of unlockable characters, it was still engaging.

2020

The second part of the cleaning spree discovery: the orange journal. This fabled orange journal touched back to Gran Turismo 2 with the car collection list and gear ratio notes. There were also my pass codes for my Mortal Kombat Armageddon game files along with some notes for Legend of Dragoon and Soul Calibur 3.

There were other items in the journal as well but they weren't game related. We're finally in the month of April. On April 6 I made a quick post about my throwbacks going on pause.

Well, not throwbacks per se but my throwback gaming. Still, it was a reference to throwbacks. This day was the last day any classic game was talked about; mentioned, but not discussed in depth.

Throwback Future

I may touch back on throwbacks in future posts but not exactly sure when. Have to look at my classic game inventory to see who wasn't touched over the years. Might have to include a video for a change.

Comments

Popular Posts